Formed in 2019, K2 HealthVentures (K2HV) is a start-up venture, providing life sciences companies at the venture and growth stages with innovative financing solutions.
K2HV focuses on flexible debt financing, enabling innovative companies to expand their research programs and minimise equity dilution as they reach key lifecycle milestones and build enterprise value. K2HV can also invest equity capital to align its interests with its venture and public equity investment partners.
Driving innovation in life sciences requires ever larger amounts of capital to finance research, development and commercialization. This growing appetite for funding powers the demand for new forms of investment that package risk and returns advantageously for both innovator and investor.
The K2HV platform provides an industry team of scientists and financing experts with a permanent source of substantial capital resources to challenge prevailing industry models with creative, adaptive financing solutions.
K2HV’s charter commits it to spend a portion of its investment profits to funding globally underserved and underinvested areas in healthcare.
K2HV made excellent progress over the past year, making investments in a number of private and public life sciences companies:
- Evelo Biosciences, a clinical-stage biotechnology company, is developing oral biologics that act on cells in the small intestine with systemic therapeutic effects. A $45m debt financing commitment will help advance a clinical portfolio of oral biologics to treat inflammation and oncology.
- Metacrine, a clinical-stage biotechnology company, is focused on building a pipeline of best-in-class drugs to treat liver and gastrointestinal (“GI”) diseases. A $50m debt financing commitment supports further development of its best-in-class FXR agonists for treating non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (“NASH”) and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Surface Oncology, a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company, is developing next-generation immunotherapies that target the tumor microenvironment. A $25m debt financing commitment will support advancement of the next wave of its programmes into clinical development.
- Companion Medical, an innovative diabetes-focused medical device company, has developed the first and only FDA-cleared smart insulin pen and app system. A $27.5m debt financing commitment will help to drive commercial scale in support of their flagship product – InPen.
- Inari, an agricultural-focused biotechnology company, is developing next-generation seeds. A $45m debt financing commitment will be used to accelerate the development and commercialisation of breakthrough gene-edited crops that address the challenges of climate change and improve productivity.
As part of K2HV’s charter, a portion of its investment profits will be committed to funding globally underserved and underinvested areas in healthcare.
For more information on K2 HealthVentures, click here.